Analysis of Indian and Canadian Laws on Biofertilizers
Biofertilizers are known to be effective green alternatives to chemical fertilizers. Biofertilizers are regulated under the Fertilizer (Control) Order, 1985 in India and the Fertilizers Regulations (C.R.C., c. 666) of the Fertilizers Act, 1985 in Canada. The laws in both countries originally evolved to regulate chemical fertilizers; however, appropriate amendments have been made to accommodate biofertilizers and organic fertilizers in India, and organic fertilizers in Canada. Yet there have been no critical analyses of the laws and regulations governing the manufacture, business, transport, storage, use and disposal of biofertilizers in India and Canada. This article seeks to understand the different legal provisions of the Indian and Canadian laws regulating biofertilizers. The legal analysis is based on dialectical, qualitative and comparative legal research, as well as gap analysis. This study not only identifies the legal gaps existing in the Indian and Canadian frameworks, but also suggests ways forward to avoid bottlenecks impeding the entry into the market and free trade of biofertilizers.
2. Arjjumend H, Koutouki K & Donets O (2020a) Advantage of Using Biofertilizers in Ukrainian Agroecosystems, Eurasian Journal of Agricultural Research, 4(2),
3. Arjjumend H, Koutouki K & Donets O (2020b) Comparative Advantages of Using Biopesticides in Ukrainian Agroecosystems, European Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences, 2(6), pp. 1–11, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.24018/ejfood.2020.2.6.183
4. Arjjumend H, Koutouki K & Neufeld S (2021) Comparative Advantages of Using Biopesticides in Indian Agroecosystems, American Research Journal of Agriculture, 7(1), pp. 1–15, doi: https://doi.org/10.21694/2378-9018.21001
5. Arjjumend H, Koutouki K, Getman A & Donets O (2020) Legal Barriers in the Business of Biofertilizers and Biopesticides in Ukraine, EU Agrarian Law, IX(2), pp. 1–6, doi: http://doi.org/10.2478/eual-2020-0006
6. Canada Food Inspection Agency (2020) Fertilizers, https://www.inspection. gc.ca/plant-health/fertilizers/eng/1299165827648/1299165914316 [22.12.2020]
7. Consolidation Fertilizers Regulations C.R.C., c. 666 https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/C.R.C.,_c._666.pdf [22.12.2020]
8. Kumar S & Singh A (2014) Biopesticides for integrated crop management: environmental and regulatory aspects, J. Fertil Pestic.
9. Malusá E & Vassilev N (2014) A contribution to set a legal framework for biofertilizers, Appl. Microbiol Biotechnol., 98(15), pp. 6599–6607, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-014-5828-y
10. Ollman B (1993) Dialectical Investigations. New York, Routledge.
11. Urs A (2015) The sorry tale of biopesticides, Business Standard, 2015.