Acquisition of Agricultural Land by Foreigners and Family Agricultural Holdings in Croatia
This paper presents two important aspects of the structural transformation of the agricultural sector of the Republic of Croatia. First, there is an analysis of the legal regulation of the acquisition of agricultural land by foreigners by which Croatia has aligned its rules on the acquisition of real property with EU law. In particular, attention is drawn to the differences in the legal position of foreigners depending on whether they are nationals or legal persons of EU Member States or from third countries, as well as on the grounds on which they acquire agricultural land in Croatia. Second, the author points to the new regulation of family agricultural holdings of 2018 (Family Agricultural Holdings Act) and highlights the importance of the separate regulation of family agricultural holdings for the development of Croatian agriculture, particularly with regard to the existing structure of agricultural holdings and the structure of the farm labour force.
2. Bratić V, Grgić I & Krznar S (2019) Poljoprivredna proizvodnja Republike Hrvatske prije i nakon pristupanja EU / Agricultural Production of the Republic of Croatia before and after EU ACCESSION, presentation, in: 47th Symposium "Actual Tasks on Agricultural Engineering", conference, Opatija, Croatia, 5-7 March 2019.
3. Bröhmer J (2016) Kom. Art. 63. AEUV, in: Calliess & Ruffert (eds.) EUV/AEUV, Kommentar, Beck, München, pp. 993–1017.
4. Croatian Bureau of Statistics (2018) Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia, 2018, https://www.dzs.hr/Hrv_Eng/ljetopis/2018/sljh2018.pdf [02.12.2020]
5. Croatian Bureau of Statistics (2019) Agricultural Economic Accounts, 2018, First Release, Number 1.1.8., Zagreb, https://www.dzs.hr/Hrv_Eng/publication/2019/01-01-08_01_2019.htm [02.12.2020]
6. Croatian Bureau of Statistics (2020) Agricultural Land Prices, 2019, First Release, Number 1.1.14, Zagreb, https://www.dzs.hr/Hrv_Eng/publication/2020/01-01-14_01_2020.htm [02.12.2020]
7. Croatian Bureau of Statistics (2020) Gross Domestic Product, annual calculation, 1995 – 2019, www.dzs.hr [02.12.2020]
8. European Commission (2020a) Agri-Food Data Protal: Jobs and growth in rural areas - (EU27) – Croatia, https://agridata.ec.europa.eu/extensions/DashboardIndicators/JobsGrowth.html?select=EU27_FLAG,1 [02.12.2020]
9. European Commission – Eurostat (2020) Output of economic activities in the EU Member States, https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-eurostat-news/-/DDN-20201028-1 [02.12.2020]
10. European Commission (2020b) Statistical Factsheet – Croatia, https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/food-farming-fisheries/farming/documents/agri-statistical-factsheet-hr_en.pdf [02.12.2020]
11. Josipović T (2013) International Encyclopedia for Property and Trust Law – Croatia, Suppl. 19, Wolters Kluwer, Alphen aan den Rijn.
12. Jung P (2019) Kom. Art. 50. AEUV, in: Schwarze J (ed.) EU-Kommentar, Baden-Baden, pp. 906–928.
13. Kainer F (2017) Kom. Art. 50. AEUV, in: Pechstein M, Nowak C & Häde U (eds.) Frankfurter Kommentar EUV, GRC und AEUV, Band II, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, pp. 879–890.
14. Korte S (2016) Kom. Art. 50. AEUV, in: Calliess & Ruffert (eds.) EUV/AEUV, Kommentar, Beck, München, pp. 913–919.
15. Kotzur M (2015) Kom. Art. 63. TFEU, in: Geiger R, Khan D E & Kotzur M (eds.) European Union Treaties, Beck, München, pp. 397–401.
16. Paying Agency for Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development (2020a) www.apprrr.hr/about-us/ [02.12.2020]
17. Paying Agency for Agriculture, Fisheries and Rural Development (2020b) Godišnje izvješće o radu za 2019, https://www.apprrr.hr/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/APPRRR_Godi%C5%A1nje_izvje%C5%A1%C4%87e_o_radu_2019.pdf [02.12.2020]
18. Streiblyté A & Tomkin J (2019) Kom. Art. 63. TFEU, in: Kellerbauer M, Klamert M & Tomkin J (eds) The EU Treaties and the Charter of Fundamental Rights, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 746–776.
19. The World Bank (2019) Stanje sektora i analiza javnih izdataka za poljoprivrednu i ruralni razvoj, http://documents1.worldbank.org/curated/pt/884051565777368357/pdf/Stanje-sektora-i-analiza-javnih-izdataka-za-poljoprivredu-i-ruralni-razvoj.pdf [02.12.2020]
20. Wojcik K P (2015) Kom. Art. 63. AEUV, in: Groeben H, Schwarze J & Hatje A (eds.) Europäisches Unionsrecht, Band 1., Nomos, Baden-Baden.